We often get asked the difference between Vegetarian & Vegan Diets….
- Vegetarian is defined as a person who will eat any plant product (fruits, vegetables, nuts, roots etc), eggs, dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese & butter) and honey.
- Vegan is defined as a person who will only eat plant products. Vegans do not eat dairy products or honey.
- Neither vegetarians or vegans eat meat or fish.
If you are making any of our recipes for a vegan, please substitute milk for soya or rice milk and eggs for egg replacer.
The following are often found in foods, which make them unsuitable for Vegetarians or Vegans:
- Gelatine (sometimes spelt Gelatin in American English, derived from animal bones)
- Cochineal (a colouring derived from crushed beetles)
- Suet (there is a perfectly vegan alternative made with oil and rice flour)