LENTIL & TOMATO SOUP
- 400g Can of Tomatoes
- 1/2 Tube of Tomato Pureé
- 100g Red Lentils
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Clove of Garlic (Optional)
- Vegetable Stock
- Herbs or Curry Powder
- Wash the lentils then rinse thoroughly, cover the lentils with vegetable stock, bring them to the boil, then reduce the heat to a light simmer.
- Fry the onion in a dash of olive oil, stir for a minute, add the crushed garlic, then set aside to cool (this helps improve the flavour).
- Once the lentils have been simmering for 15 - 20 minutes add the can of tomatoes and tomato pureé and leave on the heat until they come back to a simmer, then add the onion and garlic.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste so the lentils are soft cook until done as you like.
- Pureé the soup in a blender or leave as it is. Add the herbs or curry powder to taste and serve.
- Great Served with Lime wedges.
- Use yellow lentils (split peas or chana dahl) they will need longer to cook, also remember to soak them (even 'no need soak' lentils need a short soak)
Inspirational Recipes http://www.inspirationalrecipes.co.uk/