Equal weight of
- Fat - Vegetable oil, butter or Margarine
- This means that you MUST WEIGH everything, no guessing by eye or feel.
- Cream the sugar and fat together, then add the eggs followed by the flour.
- Portion or adjust as desired, bake at 180oC for the required time.
Baking Times: Expected Yields
- Muffins: 10 – 15mins (12 per tray) 2 Large Eggs = 12 Muffins = 7” Sponge
- Cake (4 Egg) 25-35mins 3 Large Eggs = Small Loaf
- Sandwich (3 or 4 Egg) 20 – 25mins.
- Make as basic sponge, substitute 1/3 of the flour with cocoa powder and add a little milk to moistened the mixture, taste and add more sugar as required.
Turkish Delight Cake
- Make as chocolate cake, add a few spoonfuls of rose water in place of some of the milk and then ice with glace icing made with rose water.
- Make as basic sponge then add a generous drizzle of natural vanilla extract.
Lemon Cake #1
- Make as basic sponge, add lemon oil, put lemon juice in a cup, add a pinch of bicarbonate of soda as soon as it has stopped fizzing add to the cake mixture. Also works with other citrus fruits.
Lemon Cake #2
- Put one lemon in a pan of boiling water, boil for 15 minutes, place the whole lemon in a blender and pureé, add sugar (a couple of teaspoons). Mix the cold lemon pureé in the cake mixture, add a little extra flour if the mix is wet.
- This works well with any citrus fruit (Lime, Grapefruit, Orange etc)
Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Make as lemon cake (above) but drizzle over the following topping: Mix 5-10ml of lemon juice with a 15g of granulated sugar and 15g of icing sugar to make a gritty paste, then spread over the warm cake.
- Make as basic sponge, substitute 1/3 of the flour for ground almonds and add almond extract, add a dash of milk if the mixture looks too dry.
- Make as basic sponge, substitute 1/4 of the sugar for golden Syrup or Muscovado dark Brown Sugar, then add ginger as desired.
Simple Carrot Cake Muffins
- Make as basic sponge, substitute 1/3 of the butter / Margarine with olive oil, substitute 1/4 of the flour with Wholemeal SR Flour, add grated carrot, cinnamon and Nutmeg as required.
- Tip: We add a pinch (or two) of Baking Powder for extra lift.
Adapted from Danny Gee
Adapted from Danny Gee
Inspirational Recipes http://www.inspirationalrecipes.co.uk/