For the Pastry Base
- 200g Flour
- 100g Margarine or Butter
- 30g Icing Sugar
- Water to bind
For the Sponge Topping
- Use a 2 egg almondie recipe (see Sponge Cake recipe)
- Jam (Cherry is best)
- Marzipan (Optional)
- Water Icing (Optional)
- Rub the fat into the flour, add the icing sugar and add cold water a bit at a time to make a ball of dough.
- Put the dough in a food bag and chill for 30 minutes.
- Make as sponge recipe with the almond variation. (http://www.topazblackpool.com/topaz/victoria-sponge-cake/)
- Roll out the pasty, grease an 8 inch tin, line with pastry.
- Spoon in cherry jam (as much as you like!)
- Roll out marzipan, cut into a circle and place on top of the jam.
- Put the almondie cake mixture on top of the marzipan.
- Bake at 180oC for 30 minutes.
- When cooled, you can ice with water icing, but the cake is normally sweet enough.
- Line the cake tin as above, spoon on lemon curd or marmalade, use lemon sponge.
- The photo shows lemon bakewell.
Inspirational Recipes http://www.inspirationalrecipes.co.uk/